French as a Second Language Advisory Committee
Minutes from French as a Second Language Advisory Committee (FSLAC) meetings will be posted here.
Notice About Archived Files: Only the files from the current and previous school year are available on our website. Should you require access to files before this, please contact us.
|Dennis Draves||Trustee, Cochrane|
|Peter Osterberg||Trustee, Timmins|
|Tom Henderson||Trustee, Englehart|
|Wayne Major||Trustee, Kapuskasing and Hearst|
|Rosemary Pochopsky||Trustee, Kirkland Lake|
|BOARD STAFF REPRESENTATIVES:|
|Linda Knight||Director of Education|
|Maria Sheculski||French Language System Lead|
|Lynn McNaughton||District Administrator of Curriculum and Vice-Principal|
|Lynda Mitchell||Principal, Bertha Shaw Public School|
|Tanya Vincze||Principal, Timmins Centennial Public School|
|John Sullivan||Principal, Roland Michener Secondary School|
|Keri Shepherdson||Principal, Englehart Public School|
|Alison Fantin||Principal, Kirkland Lake District Composite School|
|Kristen Niemi||Principal, Cochrane PS & École Secondaire Cochrane High School|
|Sheila Siermachesky||Vice-Principal, Timiskaming District Secondary School|
|Haley Brooks||Teacher, R. Ross Beattie Senior Public School|
|Annie Tremblay||Teacher, École Secondaire Cochrane High School|
|Monique Roy||Teacher, Kirkland Lake District Composite School|
|Claire Hendrikx||Timiskaming District Secondary School|
Terms & Conditions Download PDF version
The role of the French as a Second Language Advisory Committee is to support excellence in French as a Second Language programs and improve student learning.
The committee is an advisory group that will allow a forum for representation from school and board. This committee will align itself with the DSB Ontario North East Strategic Plan and Board Improvement Plan and endeavour to consult, collaborate and support senior administration and the DSB Ontario North East in providing current and effective French programming in both Core and Immersion.
The committee with have representation from a variety of interested parties. The three (3) meetings a year will provide parents, trustees, administrators, with an opportunity to work closely to discuss interests and provide advice on issues that relate to French programming.
- 3 Trustees (1 from each region)
- 3 Parent representatives
- 2 School Principals (Elementary and Secondary)
- 4 Teachers (1 Elementary Core and 2 Elementary [SK-6, Gr.7-8] Immersion 1 Secondary)
- System Lead
- 1 Superintendent and
- the Director of Education
The Committee will try to ensure representation of the 3 geographic areas within district.
- To support the call to action to strengthen FSL programming, promote the benefits of FSL and support its educators as articulated in the Framework for French as a Second Language in Ontario Schools K-Gr 12.
- To review revisions to delivery practices and provide recommendations to the board in support of.
- To serve as a liaison to community partners in matters of French programming.
In collaboration, the current Chair, Director, and System Lead will invite active and interested trustees, principals, teachers and parents.
The FSL Lead (System Principal) and Director will establish the timelines for the process and collaborate in the selection of the advisory committee members.
Terms of Office
- Committee members will serve a term of two years and can be invited to extend their membership for another year.
- Regular attendance is expected.
- Vacancies will be filled using the membership criteria.
The Chair will:
- Call committee meetings.
- Create a written agenda in collaboration with the System Lead.
- Submit it in advance to the committee to review.
- Chair the Committee meetings and work to guide the decision-making processes.
- Arrange a designate to chair meetings when the Chair is absent.
Role of the Committee
- Committee members at the first meeting select a committee chair.
- Additional Committee roles will be decided as needed in relation to the Framework.
The Executive Assistant of the Superintendent will:
- Record and distribute minutes of all meetings.
- Committee meetings and make them available on the Board website for the public.
- Maintain a membership list and contact list of committee members.
- Maintain a file on correspondence and presentations or reports.
Documents of Interest
- David Grady PowerPoint Presentation – May 2013
- DELF Scolaire Information
- Oral Self Assessment Wheels – A1, A2, B1
- Glossary of Terms from December 19th Meeting
- Working with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) in the Canadian Context
- French Immersion in Elementary Schools within District School Board Ontario North East
- French as a Second Language (FSL) - Elementary & Secondary
- French Immersion Grants, Expenditure, Tracking & Policy
- Survey of Current Practices within District School Board Ontario North East Secondary Schools
- How French Education is Funded
- French as a Second Language Allocation to Boards for 2009-2010
- French Second Language Education in Ontario - Report and Recommendations to the Ontario Minister of Education
Last updated: November 23, 2016